Best 5 Beethoven Books on Amazon
1.Beethoven: The Universal Composer by Edmund Morris
2.Beethoven by Maynard Solomon
3.Beethoven: The Music and the Life by Lewis Lockwood
4.Late Beethoven: Music, Thought, Imagination by Maynard Solomon
5.Beethoven as I Knew Him by Anton Felix Schindler
The Revolutionary Composer
Creating in the age of absolute height for Viennese classicism, represented by Haydn and Mozart, Beethoven firmly took over the traditions instituted up to then, creatively and brilliantly developing them, expanding the outlines of classical forms by using new patterns, specific to his epoque, thus bringing powerful dynamism to music. Through his unique language he managed to take music out of the intimacy of bourgeois saloons.
His creation encloses works like: the Opera Fidelio, the ballet Prometheus'Creatures, the stage music for Goethe's Egmont, Kotzebue's The Ruins of Athens and King Stephen, the vocal symphonic works Jesus on the Mount of Olives, the Fantasy for piano, choir and orchestra, Missa solemnis, symphonic works (9 symphonies, dances and overtures), five piano concertos, a violin concerto, a triple concerto for piano, violin and cello, 10 sonatas for violin, 4 sonatas for cello and piano and 32 sonatas for piano.
Read more about Beethoven's music
- Beethoven Symphonies - Each of the nine Beethoven symphonies analyzed.
- The piano sonatas - Analysis of the sonata form and the most important Beethoven Piano Sonatas.
- Trios - General discussion regarding Beethoven's trios for various instruments and ensembles.
- Sonatas for Cello and Piano - Discussion about Beethoven's five cello and piano sonatas.
- Sonatas for Violin and Piano - Overview of Beethoven's ten sonatas for violin and piano.
- String Quartets - Brief analysis of Beethoven's seventeen string quartets.
- The Opera "Fidelio" - The background, subject and influences of Beethoven's only opera.
- The Concertos - Beethoven's five piano concertos, his violin concerto and triple concerto analyzed.
- The Overtures - Brief overview of some of the most important Beethoven overtures.
- The Chamber Music - Brief introduction to Beethoven's chamber music creations.
Seen in its general context, Beethoven's music is and will always be present in the world's musical creation because it proved that man must not surrender to the adversities of life and that art is a superior form of domination of human nature.